Born: Yesterday
Via: Answered prayer
Vital Statistics: Kyle and I have been praying that God would clearly show us how He wants us to build our family. We want more kids but didn't have clear direction on how or when to proceed. All manners of building our family cost money, which does not floweth over since I quit my job last year, and though we really wanted to return to China since we left our hearts there, that door has closed for us since they changed their guidelines in 2007.
So we started praying that God would show us what to do, and I was asking Him to please do it soon (in His timing, of course... but c'mon already!) I've had the baby fever bad lately, and Lily is already 2 1/2 and I'd love for her to grow up with siblings in her same generation, you know? Plus, Kyle and I are not getting any younger.
Anyway, Kyle felt led to pursue another adoption from Asia, but it didn't look like China, Korea or Taiwan were an option for several reasons. Then I happened upon Nepal when looking on Rainbow Kids. I assumed it wasn't an option since I hadn't heard much about it, but I read a family's story about it and it seemed appealing, so I filled out the contact form on Rainbow Kids for agencies participating in Nepal to contact me.
I started getting emails from agencies saying their Nepal program was full for 2009, and some even for 2010 so I didn't have much hope until I heard from one agency that they had just had a family drop out so they had an opening. I immediately got excited (not new for me-- I can get excited about pretty much any chance at a child) and talked to Kyle about it. And here's the difference-- he got excited too so we sent our application after praying and doing a little more research.
Well that was only yesterday and already I have a pile of stuff for our home study and a social worker waiting in the wings. We all have doctor's appointments in the next 2 weeks and I just did our Texas Department of Safety Criminal Checks online. I think we set a record for the slowest paperchase for Lily (10 months) and I'm trying to set another one this time for the fastest. No moss will be growing under my pile of paper! My fingers have been itching to get this going and I'm so glad God (and Kyle) finally gave the green light! Thank you both!
We wanted a boy anyway but Nepal only lets you adopt a child of the opposite gender. We are asking for as young as possible, and they require that he be younger than Lily, so we can only guarantee that he will be younger than her, and I'm assuming she'll be 4 by the time we get a referral. I am thinking 18-24 months from now, although it could be sooner (as if THAT ever happens in the adoption world). If I had a dollar for every ridiculous prediction I made during our Lily-chase.... so I'm leery of making them now. But I have the walking talking reminder that God is in control of the timing and He can and will move mountains and governments to make sure the child He has chosen us for comes home at the appointed time. I just hope He's setting an early appointment for BBH!
Anyway, we are excited and hopeful but also guarded. Nepal is a beautiful but unstable country as far as the government goes, and adoptions have temporarily closed several times. And their Prime Minister stepped down last month so it's been even more tumultuous of late. Still, referrals have begun to arrive for families who submitted their documents when the program reopened in January, so we're hoping that's a good sign.
So here we go again! Get your dramamine and boy stuff out if you want to come along.

No comments:
Post a Comment